Our personality is quite stable over time. It strongly influences how we engage in relationships. Our traits are contextual and may vary widely. For example we might be quite accepting about literature but very closed to new ideas about religion.
The Big 5 personality traits are:
- Openness: Accepting of new ideas, beliefs, experiences.
- Conscientiousness: Certainty and responsibility. Compliance with rules. Impulsivity
- Extroversion: Connection and externally derived support and recognition. Contact with others.
- Agreeableness: Trust, Cooperation, Competitiveness, Acceptance.
- Neuroticism: Confidence about ability to cope, self-worth, self efficacy.